Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I Fix the Mets in Many Many Easy Steps...

Here we go. I'm fixing the Mets:

1) Although it may cost a ransom, I would do whatever needed to be done to land a free agent outfielder. Throw extra years at Holliday, say 6 or even 7, to get him in the fold. Or as a back up plan, I would rather have Damon than Bay. I know his arm is garbage, but with Reyes' cannon of a relay from left field, I'm not overly concerned. Also, I think Damon has much better range than Bay, and he can flat out hit. Plus, the guy is a winner.

2) Talk to the the Cubs about Carlos Zambrano. If the Mets are willing to part with Pagan, Maine/Pelfrey and Feliciano/Parnell, I think the Cubs would be interested. Obviously I would prefer giving up Parnell to Feliciano, but this would bring in a #2 for the Mets without giving up too much. By the way, Have I ever mentioned that ZAMBRANO MASHES at the plate? One problem, getting Zambrano to waive his no-trade clause.

3) Salary dump: Here's a wild idea, Castillo to the Red Sox for Mike Lowell. WHY THE HELL NOT? We do what needs to be done, get rid of the worst thing to ever happen to the Mets (who, by the way, brought about only disaster since his acquisition) and at the same time obtain a nice platoon partner for Murphy over at first (after he is surgically repaired, of course).

4) Sign the O-Dawg. Another character type who can hit, field and lead. I like it, just don't give him a long deal.

5) Take a shot on an incentive laden deal, much like Harden got, for one of either Sheets, Bedard or Garland.

6) And finally sign Molina. Who cares if you give him a third year option, just DON'T GAURANTEE IT! With all the other crappy free agent catchers signing for 2 years this offseason it makes sense to give a 2-year deal to a guy that can actually play. Yeah, he's fat, and slow. But he has a cannon for an arm and can hit for a decent average, which will be nice from the 8 hole.

SO Here's what that leaves you with:

(With Holliday)
Reyes
Hudson
Beltran
Holliday
Wright
Francouer
Murphy/Lowell
Molina
Pitcher

(With Damon)
Reyes
Hudson
Wright
Beltran
Damon
Francouer
Murphy/Lowell
Molina
Pitcher

And here's your rotation:

Santana
Zambrano
Pelfrey/Maine - whichever isn't dealt to Chicago for Zambrano
Sheets/Bedard/Garland
Perez/Niese

That's what I would do...But I'm not Omar.

1 comment:

  1. Since I think I have a man-crush on Parnell, I wouldn't want to give him up but if its needed for the Zambrano trade then I guess I'd have to.

    I understand what you mean with Castillo and the Red Sox. Didn't they ask Pedroia if he'd play short stop? And didn't Pedroia say he wasn't opposed to it? If so, Castillo could be their 2B while Lowell comes to the Mets. Sounds good

    Michael
    www.chemetsry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete