Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Time To Give Omar Some Dap!

It's time to give credit where credit is due. Two nice things Omar has done/is doing.

Tracy Ringolsby at FoxSports.com is reporting that the Orioles made an offer at some point to Holliday for 8 years/$130 million. If this is true and this is how the Holliday market is going to start shaping up, then the 5 year/$80 million deal to Bay that the Mets are rumored to be on the brink of was a good move. An 8 year commitment to any player that isn't Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin is in my opinion is completely nuts. I realize Crosby and Ovechkin play hockey, but the point here is that anyone getting an 8 year deal had better be a young stud who has yet to even reach the prime of his career, not someone currently in their prime. And although, I do think Holliday is currently in his prime, at 36 (year 6 of this offer) he will not be, and will be a heavy contract that will be tough to move. Also, in general I am hesistant to make any commitment to any player for longer than 5 years. The bottomline here is that a lot (injuries, depleted skills etc) can happen in 8 years, and to be linked to a player for that long, is not a smart move. Bay was the right choice if 8 years are going to be necessary to land this guy.

It looks like Omar Minaya is one of the 7 people who consistently read my blog and took my advice and looked into Carlos Zambrano, according to Metsblog.com. In the article, Matt Cerrone identifies Luis Castillo, Angel Pagan, Mike Pelfrey and others as being talked about in trase discussions between the Mets and Cubs.

I'm not going to get too excited over this, because many many rumors fall flat on their faces...BUT... if the Mets can get Zambrano while getting rid of Castillo, and not giving up TOO much, that would be quite a coup for Omar. At the least Omar deserves some serious dap for looking into the Zambrano market, but the question remains can he put the pieces together and get Carlos to ok the deal.

So, I'm not quite ready to give Omar my full confidence again, but signing Bay is looking better and better and at least looking into dealing for Zambrano is a good move too. Let's give Omar the credit he deserves for getting a left fielder before he'd have to pay out the nose for one, and doing his homework on potential number 2 starters.

UPDATE: According to the Baltimore Sun there is no truth to the Holliday rumor. I'm not going to take back the dap I gave Omar before, because I do believe the contract Holliday eventually will sign will be HUGE and not completely worth it. I am just not as excited about the Bay deal as I was 10 minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment