Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cashstealo, D'Backs, Beltran and Potential RF Platoon

According to Metsblog, here, Luis Cashstealo is working his way back from injury.  Cerrone says, "Jerry Manuel told reporters yesterday that the team will know in the next day or so whether Castillo is capable of being activated this weekend."

Can I start by saying, is there anyway to keep him on the DL longer?  The team is 9-1 since Cashstealo went on the DL June 4th.  I know there are his supporters out there who think he's fine, and not the problem for this team.  Can something please be said for addition by subtraction?  I just find it hard to dispute that since he, Perez and GMJ have all not been part of this team they are winning, and looking good doing it.  I have no problem living with Cora and Tejada, especially considering the results the TEAM has gotten since that's been the arrangement. 

But for those who want a new second baseman...

In the same posting on Metsblog, Cerrone points to a tweet from Jon Paul Morosi, here, who thinks that Kelly Johnson can be had.  While I think any move at second base isn't really an option for the Mets unless they can move Cashstealo, this is an intriguing name.  Although Johnson isn't a great fielder he does have some nice pop and speed.  He's not a great option as far as all-around second baseman in the league, but in my opinion he is a definite upgrade over Cashstealo.  Despite that, I would argue that unless Johnson was a needed add-in for salary relief in another deal with the D'Backs (Dan Haren), the Mets don't NEED to make a move for him.  Cora and Tejada have been fine so far.  And even though I know there are those who are concerned about Cora's option kicking in, I'm not one of them.  Now, if the Mets and D'Backs start talking Haren and Johnson becomes a throw-in salary dump, then that'd be nice.  I just don't think the team needs to pursue Johnson on his own, because in my opinion his value over Cashstealo is not great enough to warrant a deal, and a potential prospect. Also, I think unless the Mets find a way to deal Cashstealo (not likely), this won't even be considered...

Also worth considering since Beltran has been working out in Florida is this article written by Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger about a potential right field platoon between Pagan and Francoeur once Beltran returns from the DL.  McCullough makes an interesting point about a platoon.  When looking at the righty/lefty splits for Pagan and Francoeur it's hard to deny that a platoon would make sense, and considering the likelihood that Beltran will not be able to play everyday when he comes back, there will be playing time available in the Mets outfield. 

However, should the Mets be lucky enough to get a full-strength Carlos Beltran, I think the Mets have options.  I would make one of Francoeur/Pagan available in a deal, using whichever has more value (probably Pagan) to net some starting pitching.  OR maybe prove Beltran is healthy for a bit and then ship him out for a starter.  I don't know which would make more sense, as it would depend on the deals available.  I am suprised to see myself saying this because I was one of those guys who hated when people first started talking about dealing Beltran, but maybe there is some sense to it...

Regardless, I'm just saying there are options, because Pagan has proven to me this year to be a viable option as an everyday center fielder.  Whether there is more trade value in him, a recovering commodity in Beltran or Francoeur remains to be seen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

This could be a fun trade deadline...

No comments:

Post a Comment