Friday, June 4, 2010

Mets Make Roster Moves: My Reactions

I need to address the roster moves the Mets made today.  I would have gotten to these moves earlier had my job not gotten in the way...

So, first thing's first, the Mets FINALLY DFA'D Gary Matthews Jr.  Part of me feels bad for Matthews because he seemed like a good teammate, unfortunately for him he's a terrible player and that's more important.  Now that I showed a little mercy, here it comes...about time.  Matthews was awful and was only really on the team because Jerry was afraid of not having a back up centerfielder.  So instead of calling up Jesus Feliciano, who's hitting close to .400 in Triple-A and plays centerfield, the organization decided to bring up Omir Santos because Blanco is hurting...

Let's stop right there...WHAT?

GMJ being the only guy on the roster capable of playing center fielder was the excuse that kept him around as long as he did, right?  So, when the Mets finally decided "enough was enough" with GMJ, they decided to bring up a catcher?  Is anyone as confused as I am?  I get that Blanco is banged up, but when Blanco was on the bereavement list a week or two ago Barajas played all the time, and Thole was useless.  So what is different now?  Why can't Barajas carry the load again?  If it's because Blanco is THAT hurt, why doesn't he go to the DL?  I am baffled.  The best part of this whole thing is that Jerry now says that Bay can play centerfield if need be.  Where has this been all year?

Before I get to Cashstealo, which I feel was a no-brainer decision, I want to look at Niese being activated tomorrow and try to figure out who gets sent down...

In this article, I mentioned earlier from Metsblog, there is potential for Mejia to be the guy sent down should Perez continue to refuse to take a minor league assignment.  This brings up a few things...

First, while I'd like it to be Mejia who is sent down because I want him to be a starter...I think the need to get Ollie off of the major league roster trumps the need to turn Mejia into a starter, at this point.  Especially considering how Dickey pitched tonight, and how he and Takahashi can easily transition to the bullpen.

I really hope it's going to be Ollie.  I'm not quite sure how it's going to happen, but I really think if the Mets are as frustrated as their fans are with Perez and if he doesn't accept a minor league assignment I a move should be made.  Perez is a distraction and a waste of an arm in the bullpen.  I would throw the minor league option at him one more time, or the organization should just take their lumps and admit Ollie was a bad contract.  That was tough for me to say, I still like Ollie's stuff when he's on...he just hasn't been on in a while.

Now, let's talk Cashstealo, who was playing hurt and NEEDED to go on the DL.  I mean, this guy was limping to the plate, in the field, while walking to first.  There is no doubt in my mind he's tough, and he's earned some respect from me for playing hurt (doesn't make me think he doesn't stink), but I think this was the right decision.

Looks like Ruben Tejada will get a serious look at second base.  I would love to see the kid get hot and never give up this spot, unfortunately, I really doubt that will happen.  Even if Tejada is out of his mind while Cashstealois on the DL, I just don't see the Mets not playing someone who makes $6 million.  For whatever that's worth...

No comments:

Post a Comment