Sunday, May 2, 2010

What To Do With Murph...

According to Michael Baron of Metsblog, who forwarded a report from Brian Costa of the Newark Star-Ledger, when Daniel Murphy returns from his knee injury, he won't be returning to Queens.

Brian Costa writes, "Unless Ike Davis is injured or struggles mightily over the next few weeks, the Mets plan to send Murphy to Triple-A when he recovers from a right knee sprain, according to a person familiar with the team’s thinking."  Talk about getting a raw deal....

I have no problem with Murphy losing his job to Davis.  Guys lose their jobs all the time, but what I don't think he should lose his spot on the big ball club... 

Do the Mets still need Frank Catalanotto on this club?  Look, I know he's "versatile", but I would say he's about as useful in the middle infield as Daniel Muprhy would be in the outfield, so what's the point.  Does the team need a third guy who can "handle" the middle infield?  They already have Cora and Tatis on the bench who can handle the positions, and it's not like Cat is needed in the outfield either.  Oh yeah, and he's not hitting either...

So, my question is why Murphy isn't coming up to the big club?  He could easily serve as a left-handed bat off the bench, and would undoubtedly increase the talent level on the team as a whole.  So why not...

I only have one answer and it's some speculation that seems pretty popular, the Mets are sending Murphy down to learn to play second base.  As much as I want Murphy on this club, if he's going to the minors to learn to play second base I won't be upset.  There's something appealing to me to having Murphy hitting second and playing second behind Reyes when Beltran returns later in the season.  That would give the Mets an extremely formidable line-up.  BUT, I don't think this is going to be the case because of the road block that is the current second baseman's contract.  So once again I ask what's the point?

Daniel Murphy, I feel, is a more useful bench player than Cat if only for his abilities at the plate.  So, if Murphy's not coming back to the team, and is going to Triple-A when he recovers, I really hope that it's because he's learning to play second base...because if not, I just don't see the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment