Monday, April 19, 2010

Alright Ike's Coming, So Let's Be Real...

According to Matt Cerrone of Metsblog, which relayed the info from SNY's Brad Cuomo account on twitter, Ike Davis will be called up today.

It has been brought to my attention that I have been accused of "wavering" on my stance with the Ike call-up situation, but please allow me to clarify... 

I wanted (still want) to see Chris Carter get a chance before Ike, because in my opinion, Ike could probably use some more seasoning before bringing him up to the bigs and Carter deserves a shot.  Also, I am slightly concerned about what the Mets will do when Daniel Murphy is ready to return from the DL.  If the Mets are bringing up Ike as a stopgap until Murphy is healthy, then this move is flat-out moronic.  However, if they're willing to commit to Ike, unless he struggles big time, then I'm fine with it.

To me, giving Carter a chance would have made the most sense because of the flexibility, until Murphy could return, and how if Carter were to perform well it would afford the team the option to keep both Carter and Murphy, especially considering Carter's ability to play other positions along with first base.  Couple those arguments with the fact that this kid has almost never been given a shot to succeed, there's no doubt in my mind that Carter would be hungry and would perform well.

Since that isn't the case and Ike is on his way up...I'm on board with this too.  Mainly because I think Ike is the team's best option at first base, given the realities of the situation (with Carter etc.).

So...

Mets fans here we go.  This move should be the start of something.  It should be the beginning of the organizations realization that maybe, just maybe, it's time for a youth movement.  This applies to both players and management.  Let Ike play, bring up Carter too, maybe F-Mart, Gee and Tejada at some point.  The team's future should be given a shot.  They can't be much worse than the team that's been out there for the first two weeks...

And while we're at it, lose Jerry and Omar.  Hand over jobs to Backman and Ricco.  Change the direction of the team and organization and bring HOPE to the fans.  Trying to float with this team that is clearly not as talented as other teams in the NL is a recipe for breeding more contempt within an already agitated fan base.

Ike will hold fans off for a bit.  But it's not enough.  I think Evan Roberts summed it up best, as Cerrone quotes him on Metsblog, "Mets fans would rather lose with Ike Davis, Ruben Tejada and Fernando Martinez, than lose with Fernando Tatis, Luis Castillo and Gary Matthews Jr." (Note the only reason I used the second baseman's name was for the quotes sake)  Also, my feeling is the first three Roberts mentioned are actually better than the second three.  So why not do it?

My one request is that fans temper expectations.  Ike Davis will eventually be good, it just may not happen right away.  Regardless it'll be exciting tonight should he crack the line-up, and I think it'll be fun at CitiField.  Man am I happy I have tickets...

No comments:

Post a Comment