Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mets Sweep Double Dip: Take 6 in a Row, First Place

What a difference a week makes...

A week ago the Mets were 6-9 and didn't look good getting there. But after last night's sweep of the double header from the Dodgers the Mets have pushed their winning streak to 6 games, thus saving Jerry's job for the foreseeable future.  Oh, by the way, this streak has also landed the Mets in first place, a half-game in front of the Phillies.  Pretty fun stuff.  Also not that I the Mets are now 3-0 in games I have attended.  I'm not saying there should be a "send me to the game fund" just yet, but a couple more wins and we may be on to something here...

Anyway, I don't want to rain on the parade here, but, I'm not ready to get too high just yet with this club.  I'm expressing cautious optimism.  Although this week has been great, it's still early, and the Mets did beat up on three teams who were not playing great ball at the time they faced them.

Prior to facing the Mets, the Braves had lost 2 of 3 to the Phillies and had only scored 7 runs in the prior 4 games before coming into the "Citi" and only scoring 3 runs in 3 games.  Prior to losing 3 of 4 to the Mets, the Cubs had lost 3 of their previous 5 games.  And before yesterday's sweep at the hands of the Mets, the Dodgers had been scuffling too, losing consecutive series to the Nationals and the Reds.

Now, I'm not saying this winning streak should be devalued at all, but what I am saying is I'll be more excited should the Mets win today and take the weekend series from the Phils, obviously.  So while I'm happy the Mets are showing life and looking good, I want to see more...

Also, I want to point out how much better Jerry has been managing the team.  Yes, this Reyes hitting third thing has turned out to be a good idea.  I thought it was a bad idea, but I guess I was wrong.  The line-up switch seems to have awakened both Jose and Jason Bay, who finally hit his first Mets homer.  Even David Wright seems to be turning it around, as, last night as Wright went 3-3 with 4 RBI in the nightcap.  Oh, and this kid Ike Davis, can really hit.

Also, last night Jerry made the best move he's made as the manager of the Mets last night when he decided to pull Perez in the fourth.  Perez clearly was having issues holding the ball and threw multiple bad pitches that sailed over batters heads and bounced in front of the plate.  Being at the game last night, experiencing the conditions (cold and windy) and having pitched in those conditions myself, I think Perez should be given a pass on last night.  I know how hard it is to be an effective pitcher in that type of weather.  On the whole, I think credit should be given to Jerry for making the switch right away and not letting the Dodgers capitalize on Perez' inability to throw strikes.  Also, give credit to Takahashi, who after walking in the tying run, settled down and turned in a stellar performance.

Either way, I'm excited for today.  A sweep would be great...

No comments:

Post a Comment