Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Daily News Highlights Francoeur's Hot Start

In an article for the Daily News, here, Anthony McCarron details the hot start that Mets right fielder Jeff Francoeur has had thus far this season. According to McCarron, after the first week of the season, "he has hit in all six games and leads the National League in slugging percentage (1.000), is fourth in hitting (.476), sixth in on-base percentage (.538) and second with six extra-base hits, including two homers."   Those are some nice numbers for a week into the season.  I still think it's funny how his OBP is just slightly above his average, but like I've said before I like a guy looking to hit, not walk.

In the article McCarron talks about Francoeur's struggles and how he hopes this year will change things.  McCarron quotes Francoeur as saying, "This is a good year to show everybody that I've kind of started figuring things out...I'm 26, I've been here (the majors) five years. There's really no more excuses where you can say you don't know stuff."

Interestingly enough, in the article Francoeur addresses his lack of patience and says that this year he's going to change up his game plan at the plate. ""The one knock for me has always been my on-base percentage...It's not so much that I want to get the walks, it's that I want to make pitchers think different things." 

Francoeur's season so far can best be described through a quote McCarron lays out in the article, "Now I'm relaxed and having fun." 

If only the rest of the Mets could have the same type of fun, because then the fans would be too...

By the way, I'm getting a Francoeur jersey.  Have I mentioned that before? 

No comments:

Post a Comment