Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mets Need CF Contingency Plan

Alright, here it goes, something I never thought I would say...ever...in my entire life...

Go sign Rick Ankiel or Reed Johnson.

The Mets have zero outfield depth at this point, and as much as I like Angel Pagan as a fourth outfielder, they need another body to help carry the load. Ankiel can provide a little pop and some extraordinary defense, which will be needed, as the Mets have yet to address their staff. Also, Ankiel and Johnson, can both cover a ton of ground in the OF, which is nice in CitiField.

I think which of the two the Mets sign should depend on the situation they feel they are in. If things are looking bleak on the Beltran front, I'd sign Ankiel who I feel is better stop gap. But, if it's looking like Beltran will be back shortly after May, then I'd be fine with Johnson and Pagan splitting time.

Also, I'd like to advocate, even more than I already have, signing Endy Chavez to a minor league deal.

The season hasn't even started yet and we're down a man. Seriously, Let's get cracking here Omar. Get some help in here and quickly, we need depth and a back up plan so 2010, is not a repeat 2009.


No comments:

Post a Comment