Friday, January 22, 2010

Rumors Are Flying This Morning...

According to Matt Cerrone of Metsblog.com, "The Mets are up to something." Cerrone mentions hearing some wild rumors, and throws out the names Matthews Jr., Castillo, Smoltz, and in another posting Hart/Maine. Alright, let's tackle these one at a time. For my opinion on Matthews Jr., click here. The short version, HELL NO! As for moving Castillo in another deal that would not end the Mets with Matthews Jr. I am down. Smoltz, I feel would be a great complimentary pitcher, in that he could step in the rotation or the 'pen and help the team out.

The most intriguing thing I'm reading here is the Maine/Hart trade re-visited. I loved the idea as a solid plan B, should the Mets not have signed Bay, but now that they have I don't see how Hart fits. I don't know that he's capable of playing CF, and even if he was, I don't think he's a fill-in type of player. I think he's a starter. So, if that Maine/Hart trade is still being discussed, then you'd have to think there is a companion trade on the horizon involving Murphy or Francouer. I don't know if Hart is capable of playing 1B, but I'm throwing in Murphy for argument's sake. Regardless, the only way I would be happy with moving Francouer (mind you I have a huge man crush on him), would be if we moved him to the Cubs for pitching. And when I say pitching, I mean Zambrano. Granted Zambrano has shown no desire to waive his no-trade clause at all, I do remember hearing about the Cubs desire to obtain Francouer before the Mets did. So there's that...

As for some other rumors...

Looks like the Mets are interested in Wang, according to the Daily News, as well as kicking the tires on Chad Tracy as a back-up option at first. As far as Wang goes, you have to be interested on him, what's not to like. He's a groundball pitcher who's had great success, and he's had that success in New York. You cannot ask for much more than that. As for Tracy, I am very intrigued by this as I think he could provide a nice back-up option to Murphy, and could potentially push for the starting job as well. I like that idea. I like it better than this one, bringing back Tatis. The New York Post is saying that the Mets may turn to Tatis should Delgado not happen. To be completely honest I don't usually put much behind the Post when it comes to the Mets, but, this is an easy rumor to buy into. Regardless, the Mets need to finally cut ties with Tatis, he was good two years ago and last year hit into about 4,000 double plays. It's not worth it. There are better right handed bench bat options, as well as better corner infield options still available.

Either way, stay tuned, it sounds like it's going to be a fun day...

UPDATE:

Heyman is tweeting that the Mets are getting Matthews Jr. from the Angels. Ugh, this is awful news unless it nets them something more than him and gets rid of Castillo. But I doubt it...

UPDATE II:

Apparently the Angels (Heyman again) are picking up a lot of money on Matthews deal...Ok, fine, whatever, who did the Mets give up here...

No comments:

Post a Comment