Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Things I Learned From Live Chat With Brian Costa

Earlier today, Brian Costa of the Newark Star-Ledger had a really good live chat with Mets fans, here.

Here are the things I took out of the chat that I felt were most interesting:

- In response to my question regarding whether or not Carter was garnering consideration over Jacobs for the last bench spot, Costa said, "Sure, if he keeps hitting this way, he'll definitely earn strong consideration."  Since it was my question, I obviously think Carter should be getting consideration.  He's a lefty, he has power, he's mashing right now, he plays first base and outfield...At this point in time, I just don't see what Jacobs has over him. 

- In response to a question asked what the chances were of Castillo or Perez being traded this season, Costa said, "About the same as the chances of tomorrow's game in Fort Myers being postponed due to a blizzard."  I guess I'm not going to hold out hope that Castillo will get deal then...


- Costa feels that Wright's power will come back this year. He said, "Honestly, I don't see Wright's power as a huge question mark this year. I think last year was an aberration and he's too good to have another year like that."  I agree with Costa here, I'm not concerned about Wright.

 - In response to a question about Jerry using Mejia in an effort to save his job, Costa said, "Well, Jerry said he'd have to be a little crazy and a little desperate to do it, and what do you know, he's a little of both. Still, I have to say, Mejia has looked excellent so far."  I don't disagree here.  The kid has looked good enough that he probably can contribute on the major league level this season, but is it worth potentially stalling his development into a starter...That's the more important question.


- In response to a question regarding how much of a leash Murphy will have at first this year, Costa thinks, "Yes, Murphy doesn't have a ton of margin for error, but the Mets want to give him every chance to succeed. Plus, if the Mets are losing, I don't think Murphy is going to be the scapegoat."  That's nice to see that the Mets want him to succeed.  It's be nice to see that.  And I agree that if they're losing there will be bigger issues than Murphy that will attribute to that...


- Also note, Costa called Jeff Francouer's clubhouse demeanor, "Francoeur is definitely a good clubhouse guy. I don't think "the right attitude" is more important than good seasons from Maine, Pelfrey and Perez, and the return of Reyes and Beltran, but it helps."  I can't agree more.  Ever heard of the term loveable loser?  I really like Frenchy and what he brings to this team, but at the end of the day they need to win above all else.  And they need everyone healthy and contributing for that to happen. 


- Finally, and in my opinion, the most important thing I learned was regarding the Mets front office and how in-tune they are with their fans.  Costa made this comment, "Someone from the Mets will read this. Trust me, the Mets are keenly aware of everything that is being said and written about them -- in newspapers, on the radio, on TV and on blogs. They don't need me to tell them what fans are saying. You may feel like there's a disconnect because of what the Mets do or don't do, but they definitely hear everything that is being said about them."  Wow, to me this is huge for a couple reasons, both positive and negative.  On one hand, it's nice to know that the team cares enough about it's fanbase to pay attention to what's being said about them.  On the otherhand, Can they care too much about what people are saying?  I know this isn't exactly a fair point considering, the Mets almost seem damned if they do, and damned if they don't.  However, I do think it's good to pay attention to your fans and hear what they've saying because at the end of the day, this is a business and the fans are your customers.  You need them to be satisfied with the product or else your sales will go down.  BUT, they should only be listened to up to a point, because in all honesty, as much as fans love the game and think they know about it, the management are the professionals.  As a fan, I like to know that management knows more than me, and can run the team better than anyone else, because, hey, isn't that their jobs? Aren't they professionals for a reason?  I know the obvious/sarcastic response to this question, but seriously, as much as I like to think I know what I'm talking about, there's a reason I'm writing a blog for fun, and they manage a baseball franchise...

No comments:

Post a Comment