Monday, March 15, 2010

In the Battle for Fifth Starter, Nothing Is Close To Decided

In an article for the Newark Star-Ledger, as relayed by Michael Baron of Metsblog, Brian Costa discussion the state of the Mets fifth starter battle.  Costa states, "Much will depend on how Niese fares over the next three weeks, since the Mets would prefer to have a promising prospect win the job, all things being equal." 

I don't doubt that the Mets want Niese to win this competition because at the least it looks better to have your highly touted prospect enter the season as the fifth starter over a journeyman, of sorts.  But in this competition neither Niese nor Nieve has differentiated themselves from their competitor, to the point where they have almost matched performances over the last few outings.  The one thing I like that Manuel has been doing is throwing them on the same day, against the same teams in order to get the most honest results in their competition. 

This fifth starter competition with determine more than just who gets the ball every fifth day.  It will also have a serious impact on who is the last body in the Mets bullpen.  To this point, in the article Costa states, "Manuel said the result of the fifth starter competition will dictate where Nieve or Takahashi might fit into the bullpen."  Costa then goes on to point out that Nieve is the only of the involved parties who is out of options. 

I don't think that should Nieve lose out in the competition, his lack of options should matter.  To me, this is his shot and if it doesn't work out you either try to trade him or hope he clears waivers and send him back to Buffalo.  Also, unless the Mets deal Parnell or Green, it seems like they only have one spot left in the bullpen, and I don't know how you put Takahashi in the minors, considering how he's pitching.  To me, this competition from Nieve's point of view is looking more and more like fifth starter or bust...

Unfortunately, there's one huge issue I have with Costa's article...

Costa never seems to consider the dark horse in this competition, Nelson Figueroa.  I realize people don't see Figueroa as a serious contender here, but I don't know how he can't be.  He hasn't given up a run yet this spring and has looked great doing it.  Also, this guy has a great team first attitude, but like I mentioned before he's a journeyman-type and it almost looks like a defeat if the Mets break camp relying on him every fifth day.  Regardless if you're trying to win, you have to put out your best team, no matter who it is.  I think at the least Figgy deserves to be in the discussion, and should be considered a serious candidate.  Although, I must admit I am not ready to go completely behind Figgy, if nothing else but the upside the kid has.  It's for that reason...

For now, I vote Takahashi in the 'pen and Niese in the rotation, but not by much.  And I'm another mediocre start by Niese and another great outing from Figgy from changing my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment