Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mets Win 6-5: Ike Doubles, Takahashi K's 6, Francouer Has a Gun, and Omir Is Hitting

Alright here's a quick summary of what was important about the Mets 6-5 victory over the Nationals today:

Oliver Perez got hit, hard.  I didn't like seeing that, but I was encouraged that he was around the plate the whole time.  My only concern now is that somehow he's lost stuff by focusing on "pounding the zone", I guess only time will tell on that one.

There were some good things to take from today's game:

Takahashi looked awesome.  In his debut he went 3 innings, giving up just one hit and striking out six.  A very similar performance to the one Figueroa put up the other day.  The only difference being that Figueroa faced a tougher line-up (This sentence is dedicated to an anonymous comment on a previous post of him, who felt I didn't give Figgy enough cred for his performance against the Birds.  I hope that makes ammends).  Pat Misch also had a pretty nice outing, giving up 3 hits in 3 innings while striking out 3.  Very consistent from Misch, who I like more and more as days go by...

Jeff Francouer gunned out Pete Orr and Kevin Mench trying to score.  Very impressive stuff, I love his arm.
Also, Ike Davis doubled again.  I'm starting to fall in love with him, and might consider getting two jerseys.  Jeff Francouer and Ike Davis...

BUT, the highlight of the game was Omir Santos' inside-the-park grandslam, which if Willy Taveras wasn't a moron would have been a two-run double.  For those of you who didn't see it, Santos hit a grounder down the third base line that found its way under a fence, but Taveras instead of putting his hands up tried to dig it out allowing the play to continue.  In general he was very timid about trying to get the ball, almost seeming undecided as to what to do, and that was what allowed Santos to score.

To Santos' credit he's been hitting so far this spring, which makes him a nice asset for the Mets should they decide to move him later this spring.  Which I think is the right move, considering the glut of catchers the Mets have.  It might give him an opportunity to play somewhere else, while allowing the Mets to move on in their development of catchers...

Overall, it was a pretty nice game for the Mets, I just wish I could have said the same about Ollie...

No comments:

Post a Comment