Friday, February 19, 2010

I Think I Like Francouer Even More Now, Get Me a Jersey

My man-crush on Jeff Francouer dates back to his Atlanta days.  As much as I wanted to see him fail because he was on the Braves, there was something about his arm and swing that made me swoon.  Now that he's on the Mets, I can bring out my true feeling without guilt, he's awesome. 

I know people are down on his OBP, and the fact that he swings at everything, but I like that aggressiveness.  He plays the game like you did as a kid, hard. And he doesn't get cheated at the plate.  And the more I hear him talking to media the more he grows on me.   After his comments, which are found here in an article by Brian Costa of the Newark Star-Ledger, I think Francouer can be a leader on this team as well, but in a different way than Reyes, Wright or Santana.

As much as I've like the confidence Santana, Reyes and Wright have publicly displayed over the last few days, somehow what Francouer is quoted as saying in the article is better.  "That's the one way you can shut everybody up is by going out and winning ballgames...The last two years, the Mets have been predicted to win and they never have, so maybe this is the year we'll slide under (the radar) and win."  I like it.  He knows what the Mets have to do to get people off their back, win.  Because he knows that winning is the best medicine, and it's great that he just came out and said it.  Francouer, who doesn't seem to be the mouthy type, is showing that his leadership will be shown on the field, and that if people want to under-estimate the Mets then they should go for it, because they'll have no problem flying under the radar.

Also in the article Francouer makes a pretty funny comment regarding the lowering of the center-field wall, "That was the funniest thing...I'd bet you maybe one more ball gets out," and another good quote about superstition and his thumb injury.  You can't help but like the guy, he sounds like he's having fun playing ball, and that he's looking forward to winning with the Mets.

I think Francouer is going to be a good point of assessment for the Mets season this year.  If the fans are off his back, then that means one of two things: Either the Mets are playing well and Francouer is producing, or there are bigger problems with the team.  I think most Mets fans were happy with the way he played last year, and I think this year will be no different.  I like what I've seen from him so far, and if he can really benefit from this change of scenery the way I think he will, then you might be seeing a few more Francouer jerseys at Shea this year.  And to be honest, I think I'll be leading the charge...

No comments:

Post a Comment