Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Word: The Padres Can't Afford Gonzalez

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!

In an article in the San Diego Union-Tribune, Tim Sullivan quotes CEO Jeff Moorad as saying, "I’m confident that (General Manager) Jed (Hoyer) and John Boggs will have a discussion at some point about Adrian and his future. While I’d be thrilled to have him part of the organization for the long term, the early signals indicate his cost will be greater than our ability to pay.”

Alright, here's the deal.  Does this really surprise anybody?  Haven't we been under this assumption for quite some time, which in turn was the reasoning for all the Gonzalez rumors before?

Regardless I'll feed into this and say, if the Mets can they should.  However, I do not think they can.  With Boston potentially willing to give up Clay Bucholz, Jacoby Ellsbury and a Ryan Westmoreland-type player, I really doubt the Mets have the firepower to beat out an offer like that unless it involves Beltran, Wright or Reyes...and to that I say no thank you.

The bottomline here is that rumors will run rampant and of course the Mets will want Gonzalez, as well they should, but the reality is that they don't have as much trade ammo as other teams, especially the Sox.  So, while I hope Omar is involved and interested when Gonzalez hits the market, unless a Santana situation breaks again, as a Mets fan, I'm willing to curb my enthusiasm on this news...

No comments:

Post a Comment